Copyright © ES1102
Design by Dzignine
Monday 20 January 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

My English language learning journey has been one of ups and downs.

Being born in a Chinese-speaking family, along with the fact that my first primary school was a SAP school (SAP schools are basically schools that promote the learning of Chinese Language and culture), the English language was considered irrelevant to me. The only times I wrote, read or spoke in English was during English lessons (for obvious reasons).

Update:

*The word "Being" modifies the subject; thus it should have been "Being born in a Chinese-speaking family..., I felt that English was irrelevant."

*The preposition "along with" is not structurally parallel to "being"; it should have been "being born...and having studied in an SAP school/and attending an SAP school..."

When I was in primary 3, my family relocated to another part of Singapore and so I transferred to a nearby school. This was when my deplorable English results started to change for the better. I got to know an Indian friend (who later became my best friend) in class and since English was our only mutual language, I found myself speaking more English and improving over time.

Despite this improvement, I guess it is (*was; it already happened) insufficient since I still failed the QET and end up having to take ES1102 anyway...

While I cannot deny my disheartenment at the need to take this module, Brad's ability to engage us and inject vitality to the the first tutorial has made me look forward to the subsequent ones. I certainly hope to gain invaluable knowledge by the end of this 12-week course!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I think you wrote clearly and coherently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yoke Ling,
    I agree with Shu Kai, as I also feel that you wrote very clearly and coherently. In terms of content, I feel u had covered all the key elements in Gibb’s Model. Overall is a good job from my point of view! :)

    -Keng Hwa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Yoke Ling, for the effort. I like the conciseness and yet completeness of this post. There are a few sentence structure problems though:

    1) Being born in a Chinese-speaking family, along with the fact that my first primary school was a SAP school (SAP schools are basically schools that promote the learning of Chinese Language and culture), the English language was considered irrelevant to me.

    Let's talk about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      Would it be better if I break it down into shorter sentences?

      I was born in a Chinese-speaking family. On top of that, I was from a SAP school, which is basically a school that promotes the learning of Chinese language and culture. Hence, I felt that English was irrelevant.

      Delete