Copyright © ES1102
Design by Dzignine
Thursday 17 April 2014

Critical Reflection

One word to sum up my ES1102 learning journey - awesome!

This module has been enriching and constructive so far, providing me with valuable lessons that I otherwise would not have learnt if I had not taken it.

When I found out that I had to take ES1102 to fulfil my graduation requirements, I was somewhat frustrated that I had to take an extra module. The absence of modular credits and grading, in particular, tempted me to put it at the bottom of my priority list.

However, all my skepticism was lifted after attending the first lesson. Brad started off the course with a bang, sharing with us his teaching adventures all around the world, including Japan. Brad's charisma and eloquence made me enjoy and look forward to all his lessons! By the end of the first few lessons, I no longer labelled ES1102 as just a "remedial module".

"Fake it till you become it."


A presentation by Amy Cuddy on TED on how to appear confident when giving presentations


This is an important lesson I have taken away from ES1102. There are many excellent presenters around the world. Some are inherently talented, but some are not! To achieve the desired level confidence and charisma on stage, these people "pretend" to be confident, until they literally become it. In real-life situations, there are bound to be times where we are required to give presentations. During these times, appearing confident (even if you're not) for a few minutes or so wouldn't hurt, would it?


"Learning never stops."


Overall, the module has far exceeded my expectations. The structure has been designed well, tapping on various areas to improve our English language. Keeping a blog, in particular, is a useful and fun way of learning and practicing English. Moreover, it allows you to track your learning progress thus far, as you revisit posts you have posted in the past.

While ES1102 has to come to an end, my English language learning journey does not. I will continue to brush up on English by constantly reading articles, finding chances to present to others, and conversing in English. In addition, I will be keeping my own blog. This will be a diary of my life and at the same time, serve as a real-time progress of my English language learning journey.


I hereby bid farewell to ES1102 and welcome a brand new chapter of English language learning into my life!

1 comments:

  1. Thank you, Yoke LIng, for this clear, concise reflection and for the heart-felt accolades. I'm happy to know that the pedagogical approach taken in the course appealed to you. It also warms my heart to know that your opinion of the value of the course changed from before the course started. I'm also happy to know that you see value in keeping a blog. In that regard you've done a great job, adding video links to posts, conscientiously drafting and redrafting, and diligently working hard to improve your skills. Of course, as you know, this is really just another "beginning."

    All the best in the next stage of your journey!

    ReplyDelete