Copyright © ES1102
Design by Dzignine
Friday 7 February 2014

An Event That Has Shaped My Life

Photo credits: http://ispsquash.com/default/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sq10.jpg

Squash - not the drink you make out of concentrated food syrup, but the high-speed racket sport you play in a four-walled court.

I first heard of this sport 3 years ago, having just entered junior college. I decided to join this CCA as I wanted to try something new and at the same time, build up my stamina.


Although I was able to enter the squash team, there were still many obstacles I had to face. I was severely lacking in skills and stamina as compared to my peers, who had prior experience either in squash or in other sports. However, I was not willing to give up just like that. Other than attending official trainings, I put in extra hours of self-practice and sought help from the more experienced players. All these (should be "this" instead) hard work eventually paid off; I managed to get into the school team and represent my school in the annual National Inter-Schools Squash Championships. Fast forward 3 years later, I am currently in my hall's squash team and will be competing in the annual Inter-Hall games in 4 days' time.

Picking up squash has shaped my life by transforming me from a couch potato into a sporty girl. Now, I enjoy participating in sporting events, be it as as a spectator or a player. I also feel much healthier not only physically, but mentally as well. Looking back, I'm glad that I went for the squash trials without caring how others would think of my lack of talent in sports!

Here's a video of a squash match if you haven't heard of this sport!



"If you never try, you'll never know what you are capable of." 
- John Barrow

(283 words)

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I wish I had your courage to try out sports as I've always wanted to be more active as well.

    Also, here are my comments about your post:

    "Other than attending official trainings, I put in extra hours of self-practice and sought help from the more experienced players."
    - The sentence should start off with "besides that,..." since "other than" is not a correct connector.

    "All these hard work eventually paid off; I managed to get into the school team and represent my school in the annual National Inter-Schools Squash Championships."
    - The use of ";" is incorrect here because it is used to connect 2 sentences that are related but are unable to stand on its own.

    The punctuation ":" or full stop could be used instead.

    Hope this helps!

    -Lye Yee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fine post, Loke Ying, one that concisely and clearly shows your transformation from"a couch potato" to a "sporty girl." I've seen people playing squash, but have never done it myself.

    As for your language use, everything is fine, except that "hard work" should be preceded by "this."

    Thanks for your effort! Good luck in your tournament!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yoke Ling,

    I enjoy reading your post and have been wanting to pick up this sport for quite some time.

    - Shu Kai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yoke Ling,

    I actually think it's pretty good post as can't spot any mistakes. In fact, I also enjoy reading your post! :)

    - Keng Hwa

    ReplyDelete